Provide a convenient retail experience for your customers.
A Retail Business on WhatsApp
No one will be alien to WhatsApp messenger nor a retail store. Customers’ queries about products, offers, orders, payment, return, refund, and more should be attended to on-time. Similar queries from a potential customer if acknowledged on-time, will help you earn a permanent customer. We have automated solutions that help you attend to the customers without fail, regardless of the department or team the query is for.
Benefits to Customers
E-Commerce through WhatsApp
Just a click and the retail world will be right in front of you, no logins or signups are required. One application that is already installed on everyone’s phone. Customers will be notified about the latest offers and sales, always connected to the retail business.
Language of their choice
A commoner who is ready for an online retail experience can use their language of convenience to communicate with the retail company. Communication will not come as a barricade for the customers.
There is no rocket science involved in the usage of daily chatting applications. Thus it will not be a difficult task for any common person. Get into their everyday commotions.
Best experience to the customers, that gives them a positive thought on coming back to you. The retailer earns customer loyalty.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
80% of user queries will be common and frequently asked. The next 10% of their queries will be for getting transaction level information which are available in your IT systems. Our chat bots can handle all such conversations without the need of human.
90% of user queries will be handled by chat bots and the rest of 10% may need certain decision making by you or staffs in your firm. So, you can reduce the number of support staffs required based on the volume of queries handled by chat bots.
No need to change your IT systems. Our integration experts will make use of your IT systems to enable end-to-end communications and information flow right. We help you to automate end-to-end processes & speed up your service deliveries.
With our customer support solutions, you only need “Zero” or very minimum support staffs. Our deeply integrated HMS solutions will automate your processes and reduce the human effort, but increase over all efficiency. Your firm can save appropriate money based on your investment in our technology solutions
Better experience & user engagement activities will enable you to acquire new users as well as serve more volume of patients beyond your current limitations. Our dashboards will help you to visualize the variations in ROI over a period.
First of all, this is an investment with higher ROI you make with the help of technologies to get more users, serve current users much better way. Also, you invest step by step on implementation where you can see the result in one step and go the next stage. For example, your first step to configure your business theme need 0 investment, onboarding step need $200 etc.
First of all, you will have to decide on what solution will work best to your needs. We can help you to conclude on this. Timeframe to implement each solution varies. Based on your firm’s requirements, implementation time can be of 1 hour or it can go up to 12 weeks.